Go directly to: 124 Spider Blog articles 124 Spider Specs Tweaks Navigation
ameridan’s RADIO SILENCER
For FIAT® 124 SPIDERS with FIAT CONNECT 7.0 Infotainment Systems
Mazda® MX-5 ROADSTERS with MAZDA CONNECT 7.0 Infotainment Systems
The main purpose of the CMU (Connectivity Master Unit) is apparently to serve as the go-between device linking HS-CAN and other protocols within the vehicle, which is why there is no power switch. To the typical driver looking at the display of their “tablet” radio, that purpose and function is probably unknown, and begs the question ⇒
“Where’s the switch to turn the radio off?”
Since no option currently exists to turn the “radio” off, other than muting the audio system, I’ve come up with an inexpensive hardware alternative (that isn’t available in any retail stores that I’m aware of).
Introducing Ameridan’s Radio Silencer:
- no surprise FM music when your Bluetooth device is powered down / out of range or when you restart your vehicle
- experiencing normal audio behavior of all other audio phone calls, messages and navigation guidance announcements
- no huge “Mute” icon obliterating your screen, resulting in the entertainment menus being inaccessible until canceled
- nice empty AUX screen (displaying your background image) when in music mode, rather than a radio station’s ID with advertisements and song titles flashing by, even if you simply turn the volume down as your substitute for turning the radio off
- Unless you wish to use the AUX input as an actual audio source, simply plug Ameridan’s Radio Silencer into your AUX jack and leave it there (it is minimal in size and there are no wires attached to clutter up your cockpit and get tangled with your USB cable(s), and the black color blends in well with your USB / AUX ports panel).
- Whenever you want your radio off, simply select AUX as your audio source. Besides using either the Commander knob or the touch screen, you can invoke the selection using voice command by saying “Play Ox” (interpreted as Aux) or “Play Auxiliary” or “Go to Aux”. The AUX setting will remain, even after shutting down your vehicle and restarting, until you select another audio source, as long as you leave Ameridan’s Radio Silencer plugged in.
NOTE: If you have your phone paired via Bluetooth for listening to music, it will override your selected audio source if within range and powered on – until it becomes un-paired, when your system will return to your previously selected audio source. If you have selected AUX in conjunction with Ameridan’s Radio Silencer, the only audio you will hear are your navigation guidance announcements (if you have selected a destination).
$5.00 at least $3.00 (PayPal) to my Coffee Fund,
and I’ll be happy to mail you one, NEW,
packaged in a padded mailer with instructions & shipping included,
anywhere within the continental US (if you provide an address),
along with an emailed link to All-In-One Tweaks exclusively for 124 Spider.
Also, be sure to check out my tweaks page for other ways to improve your experience with your Infotainment Center, my control buttons blog page for more on the Commander interface panel, and my navigation blog page for more on adding that option to your Infotainment Center.