When playing music on your Infotainment Center, you may notice the album covers that are displayed corresponding to the current song. This is one of the features of the Gracenote® database stored in memory. The initial 2017 Fiat 124 Spiders were shipped with version 5 of this database which dates back to 2015, so songs released since then will not be recognized, so by updating your database, more recent songs will be recognized.
Other benefits of updating your database:
- Because a phonetic database is also included, voice recognition of artist and album names will be improved when searching using the microphone
- Once music is identified by MusicID, Gracenote® algorithms can transform music into killer playlists organized by similar Genres, Moods and Tempos
- Logo and Genre database for all known AM, FM, HD and DAB radio stations is also updated
I discovered today that my database was 5 – 6 years old, as apparently I had never gotten around to installing version 9, so I was still using version 8. Anyways, it was thought that the version 9 (June 2018) update might be the last one released for our Fiat Connect system (and Mazda Connect1), but hawke had observed that version 12 was included in 74.00.324A EU N firmware, and located Visteon’s newest version of the files (thanks for posting ash8). Downloads:
European version for Europe (UK, Russia, Germany, France, etc)
North American version for US, Mexico and Canada
ADR version (Australian Design Rules) for Australia, NZ, Taiwan, South America, South Africa, Philippines, Thailand and Oceania
Using a USB drive, here are the Windows instructions to update (do not use a Mac computer to format the USB drive as files are added that your Infotainment Center doesn’t like*):
1. Insert a FAT 32 formatted USB 2.0 or 3.0 drive into your computer.
2. Download the appropriate gracenotes.up file (from the links above) to the USB drive. The USB drive needn’t be wiped clean of other files (like it does for tweaks), but ensure that you have at least 400 megabytes of space remaining and the gracenotes.up file is saved to the root level.
- Firefox: After selecting the “click here” link on the website and selecting “Save to Disk,” click “OK,” find the gracenotes .up file in your designated download folder, right-click on the file icon, select “Send To,” and select your USB device by name and/or drive letter in the window to transfer the file.
- Chrome: After selecting the “click here” link on the website, click “Show in folder” next to the gracenotes .up file name at the bottom of the window, click “Move this file,” locate your USB device by name and/or drive letter in “My Computer,” and click “Move” to transfer the file.
- IE8/9/10: After selecting the “click here” link on the website, click “Save” in the “File Download” window, select where you will save the gracenotes.up file. It is recommended that you save the file directly to your USB drive.
3. When the download to the USB drive is complete, safely remove the USB drive from your computer.
4. Make sure your phone is unpaired from the vehicle, especially if you have a lot of contacts, and remove any USB drive(s) with media files, so that you free up enough memory to install the new gracenotes.up file.
5. Insert your update USB drive into your vehicle’s USB port.
6. Select “Settings” on the vehicle’s main display screen.
7. Scroll right and select the “System” tab.
8. Select “Music Database Update”.
9. The system will ask you if you would like to search for an update package for the Music Database on your USB device. Select “Search”.
10. The system shows your current Music Update version and lists updates available on your USB device. Select the newest update.
11. The system displays the version of the Music Update currently installed on your system and asks if you want to install the Music Update version you selected in step 8. Select “Install”.
12. In the U.S., my upgrade from version 8 took under 15 minutes, but in case the European or Australian version 12 update takes longer (closer to 20 minutes), be sure to momentarily step on the brake pedal after 15 minutes, to insure that the system doesn’t go to sleep as this will corrupt the upgrade.
Once completed, the system will display that the update was successful and instruct you to acknowledge a reboot.
13. The USB drive can be safely removed from the vehicle port as it’s rebooting.